25 February 2010

i used to have dreams about oscar

when i was in jr. high/high school i wanted to be a film director. i dreamed of being the first American woman to be nominated and win an Academy Award for best director. true story. but that's not the point of this post.
i saw avatar last night.
it was really beautiful. if i could live in a fantasy world it would have to be Pandora. so green and colorful full of crazy bugs and plants, and really graceful people. plus i could ride a sweet dinosaur-like bird. and wear feathers in my hair. feathers were everywhere.

i understand why it is nominated. it has a pretty blatant political agenda (very anti-bush administration...there's even a line from the "bad guy": "preemptive strike is our only way to protect ourselves"...or something along those lines), and respecting mother earth (greenhouse gases and global warming anyone?). and let's face it, movies are like music- to say what you want to say without actually saying it.

but if it wins...well, that would be sad. within the first five minutes i thought i was watching Pocahontas. i even called that she'd be betrothed to some warrior already and her father was "chief". there's even a "grandmother willow". any second and i was sure Neytiri was going to bust out "Colors of the Wind". it was almost comical. then there was a Jurassic Park scene, a Braveheart speech, and a lot of Last of the Mohicans meets Saving Private Ryan. Really just unoriginal .

Hollywood, it's time to come up with something new.

i hope UP wins. or Blindside.

what movie do you want to/think will win Best Motion Picture?
peace+love

5 comments:

aubry. said...

hurt locker was really really REALLY good... but i my money's on "up in the air" if the voters are trying to be "current" or "the blindside" if they're so sick of the depressing world we live in and want to give props to an inspirational story for once.

kelly anne said...

i'm pretty sure avatar will win. but i'm hoping for up or blindside too. :)

Unknown said...

Uh...watch The Hurt Locker...whoa. Or Up in the Air. those are my votes. Blindside I could handle as well.

kelzone said...

Brooke, you really don't think i'd give my oscar picks ignorantly do you? Hurt Locker was a little heavy on the intensity/emotion/violence for me. like i said, i WANT UP or Blindside to win...that doesn't mean they WILL. i'm with aubry, they should give props to an inspirational story for once.

Sweet J said...

See SEE this is why I did not see Avatar. I saw the rest. (Well today I am watching a Serious Man) but I had no desire to see Avatar. For the same reason I have only seen Titanic once. Buh. I am all for UP...but to be completly honest....I am pullling for Precious. Hurt Locker was great.