“Happy Birthday to me. I just want to cry. In my heart I feel like
this is going to be so hard. I
want to go home. I really do…But
it’s okay. It will make me
stronger. I hope. I know it will. I have faith it will, and today I
learned that when I have faith, the Lord will show me how.”
-my journal, september 3rd, 2013
one year ago on my birthday (yesterday) i arrived in mexico where i spent the next six weeks learning, growing, and experiencing some amazing things. it was some of the most difficult six weeks of my life so far, a period of intense growth. it rained every. single. day. for the month of september, i felt a bit chaotic in my mind, and i was oh so homesick. but quitting was not an option for me.
and i'm so glad, because mexico changed me. when i came home, i was prepared to meet, date, and marry my husband, face some really dark days, knowing the sun really will come out tomorrow, and accept callings and love people in a more profound way (.....pretty much in that order. ha)
since that day, i've learned and experienced so many things. i wrote some of those lessons down a year ago, and today i wanted a little reminder.
Obedience IS happiness. it is also the greatest source of peace.
commandments protect us from pain.
repentance can be a difficult, painful process, but a beautiful one that, when done correctly and sincerely, brings lasting changes and profound peace.
the atonement truly does heal. no matter how broken you feel, the atonement provides the light you must work toward to be made whole again.
love God above all things. this love will bring you confidence, faith, hope, and the patience needed in moments of difficulty.
"our Father knows us and hears the pleading of our hearts. We can trust that He will help us, not necessarily in the way we want but in the way that will best help us to grow."
-Jean A. Stevens
here i am a year later eating tacos al pastor and feeling blissfully happy. i'm physically, spiritually, and emotionally healthier (even if i did just eat a bunch of tacos and cake). i'm married to the kindest man i know. i'm getting closer every day to finishing school. i'm loved so darn much.
and now, i'm 25.
hot.




4 comments:
hot!
Wow! I love it.
I am so glad that this popped up on Facebook! I have always admired you, Kelli Jean. You are seriously an amazing woman, beautiful bride, and rockin' 25 year old! :)
Happy birthday, my love! May your adventures get sweeter with the years.
Post a Comment