07 February 2010

the sky looks PISSED

just like the first chapter in a book, sometimes the first line of a song is what makes it what it is. and i'm big on lyrics. cheeky, thoughtful, ironic, or clever, here are a few of my favorite first lines:

"The sky looks pissed. The wind talks back. My bones are shifting in my skin, and you, my love, are gone." The Chain, Ingrid Michaelson

"I backed my car into a cop car the other day. Well, he just drove off. Sometimes life's okay." Float On, Modest Mouse

"Watchin' me like you never watched no one, don't tell me that you didn't try and check out my bum cause I know that you did cause your friend told me that you liked it." Merry Happy, Kate Nash

"I wanna be rich and I want lots of money. I don't care about clever, I don't care about funny." The Fear, Lily Allen

"I'd rather dance with you than talk with you, so why don't we just move into the other room?" I'd Rather Dance with You, Kings of Convenience

"Slow down, you crazy child, you're so ambitious for a juvenile but then if you're so smart then tell me why are you still so afraid?" Vienna, Billy Joel

"Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? Just a cage of rib-bones and other various parts." Breakable, Ingrid Michaelson

"She's a good girl, loves her mamma. Loves Jesus, and america too." Free Fallin', Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

"Slow down, you move too fast. You've got to make the morning last. Just kickin' down the cobblestones, lookin' for fun and feeling groovy." 59th Street Bridge Song, Simon & Garfunkle

"Oh Jesus, I love you, and I love Buddha too. Ramakrishna, Guru Dev, Tao Te Ching and Mohammed." I love you and Buddha too, Mason Jennings (definitely had to look up spelling for this one)


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

what's your favorite first line?
peace+love

5 comments:

Unknown said...

love this! so clever!

Allison said...

She's a good girl... favorite song of mine there :D DANG, I need to start broadening my tastes! Haha, thanks for a bunch of new songs!


PS- Of COURSE you can take the sunflower picture! I'm not sure quite where it was taken, only that it was on the drive to Mont St. Michel... so, somewhere around the gulf of Saint-Malo? hm...

Lauren @The Little Things We Do.... said...

i love the merry happy line :). it's one of my faves.

BuenoBueno said...

i love it!
so pretty and raw!
thankyou for sharing!
hello new friend!!!
Brandi

kelzone said...

allison, thanks for the picture!

lauren, pretty sure i want that song played at my wedding at some point.

brandi, thanks for sharing your songs...new music..mmm