my mother gave me this counsel today:
"be patient with those who are not as astute about worldly knowledge as you"
(please note this is NOT referring to my visiting teaching companion, but is, in fact, referring to someone completely unrelated)
my question for her (and any other readers) is:
when it comes to building a relationship is it actually patience i am lacking?
because the fact is,
what the heck are we supposed to talk about when we're stuck indoors for more than an hour and alas the topic of hunting has put me to sleep?
peace+love
2 comments:
Good question. Perhaps an introductory discussion about civics would be appropriate. I am not suggesting you pursue this relationship - just with any relationship there is room for growth because of the other person's influence. I married your dad because he could converse about something besides football, hunting, or whatever. LM
I agree with your mom. Try introducing a topic you haven't talked about yet and see how it goes. Just because this person enjoys talking about hunting, I don't think that means that is the only thing he/she enjoys talking about. There has to be something you have in common. And sometimes your differences are what make relationships the most interesting. I can tell you that Scott and I DO NOT have a lot of common interests, but we get along spendidly and it works for us. You can still be yourself with someone who is totally different from you.
Just look a little harder for those things you have in common.
Post a Comment